Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Richard Prince, Canal Zone @ Gagosian Gallery


I love that they settled the case, and they’re immediately running the show out there. I guess Richard Prince made them, and maybe the lawsuit will draw more interest. The thing that I don’t remember anyone mentioning is they do seem a little racist. I mean I guess there has always been a certain level of fuck you in Prince’s work that I assume was suppose to challenge the viewer, but somehow superimposing guitars into the hands of Rasta men standing in the jungle and mixing them with pictures of naked white women does seem to play into various uncomplimentary black stereotypes. Maybe that’s the point, but Prince, being an old successful artist fronted by a gallery doing a couple hundred million in profit a year, does tend to tip the work from cultural critique into poor taste.


Already Down

0 comments:

Post a Comment