Thursday, December 6, 2012

Worm Carnevale’s “It’s Not A Fucking Polaroid” @ Fuchs Projects



I might have written this review before, but here goes. Worm Carnevale seems like a good guy. I met him at the gallery, he was outgoing, earnest and enthused about the show, as he should be. It’s a large one-person show in Bushwick of photography, a very rare thing that should be cherished and protected in hopes that there will be more of them. That said, they are polaroids (in the sense that kleenex is a synonym for tissue) of young, cool-looking people frolicking and often naked. The immediacy of the polariod process certainly fits with the energy of the images, but at this point one has to work very hard to escape the never ending supply of young people taking quick free-form pictures of their often naked young friends. (A side note: God bless Joann Verburg for providing pictures of occasionally naked older people close to her). At times Carnevale rises above the Vice-like scrum with such pictures as a believable, almost beheaded naked Asian man in bed with a naked Asian women posing next to him, which as these thing go, is a step up from a Dash Snow shot of a person doing coke off an erect penis. But I still feel I’ve seen most of this before, which is fine. Everyone gets to be young and make crazy pictures of their friends at some point. It’s just that these shows always make me feel that my life up until now has been pretty tame, and for some unfortunate reason the majority of my friends, while a handsome bunch, have stayed relatively clothed in my presence. But then again, I am spending my Saturday night writing this.


Already Down
Fuchs Projects (56 Bogart St. #1E, Btw. Harrison & Grattan Sts. Bushwick, NY)

0 comments:

Post a Comment