Friday, April 6, 2012

Motoyuki Daifu, Lovesday @ Lombard Freid Projects


To quote the press release can be unfair and cheap, and I fully acknowledge my occasionally doing this in writing stuff, but I think quoting the large pink wall text is more than fair.

I met her when she was only twenty years old.
She already had a two-year-old boy and was pregnant again.
I fell in love with her at first sight.
A girl – and a mother.
She had two characters in herself.
I had never met a girl like her- a girl full of motherly love.
This is our six month lovesday.

-Motoyuki Daifu

Come on, Japan, what is the deal? I understand they lost WWII and we did kill large parts of the population, but I am not sure that explains all the creepy sexualizing of the young in Japanese cultural exports. Maybe it’s the only aspect of Japanese culture American markets are interested in? But somewhere there has to be a Japanese cultural minister who needs to be doing a better job on putting a spin on their culture: “A girl – and a mother. I had never met a girl like her- a girl full of motherly love” Got to work on keeping those kind of things to yourself, Japan. Nobuyoshi Araki, Kohei Yoshiyuki, Daido Moriyama, is there a famous Japanese photographer that you can Google-image search while at work? Come on, Japan, you’re just creeping me out, oh and the pictures are what you’d expect for intimate snapshots of a young Japanese woman.

PS on further investigation two things about Japanese culture have been explained to me. One, they have no Judeo-Christian-Muslim hang ups about sex and, two, they never had a feminist movement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment