Sunday, October 10, 2010

Andrea Robbins & Max Becher, Black Cowboys at Sonnabend Gallery


I think the Bechers’ new show might be terribly racist, but then again I am not German. I took a lot of Bechers the younger’s past anthropological photographic work as having a certain sense of humor. I thought it was supposed to be as funny as it was fascinating that Germans liked to dress up like Native Americans.

But the Bechers’ fascination with the existence of black cowboys belies a cultural ignorance and downright racism that comes out of a lot of bad anthropology, especially anthropology as practiced by artists. Somehow I’d like to believe Carrie Mae Weems is already starting a body of work in response.

Sonnabend Gallery (536 W 22nd St. Btw. 10th & 11th Aves.) through Oct. 23rd

2 comments:

Michele Rinaldi said...

I disagree with your statement about this photo being racist. I find that there is still humor behind it and I feel that Bechers knew that the existence of black cowboys was downright silly which is why he wanted to portray them in a silly way. I mean what cowboys have a upholstered car seats in their wagon? Clearly this is comical. It is almost like he was poking fun at the fact that there aren't many black cowboys and their aren't many pimped out western wagons either. Maybe this was him trying to say that if there was a black wild west, they would have done it in style. It's not racist, it's just the comedy that we americans have always used and gotten off on.

Anonymous said...

THERE WERE AND ARE BLACK COWBOYS! AND THEY DON'T SHOP AT NEIMAN MARCUS- THEY KEEP IT REAL!

Post a Comment