Friday, November 18, 2011

Kate Costello, Kiki & Me @ Wallspace Gallery



I love Wallspace. I think photo-wise they are easily the best gallery in Chelsea. They without fail put on quality shows, even when I have no idea what is going on with what is on the wall. The level of quality is so consistent that it is hard not to assume my confusion comes because I am not cool enough, or young enough, or just should have read more theory in grad school.

Kiki & Me is a bunch of pictures of naked women who even in their nakedness seem way too cool to talk to at a party, posing in front of paintings on paper that land some where between minimalism and late Matisse. The paintings are a tad sloppy (and I assume intentionally so), because art history is rad but not that rad. There is also a large metal arch when you enter, but with Wallspace having been closed for construction of late, I am not sure if this is part of the show or just a new addition to the gallery’s architecture. But if naked ladies in front of not bad paintings are what the kids are into nowadays, I am down. It all feels like an Amanda Ross-Ho installation but with more nudity, which like a lot of so-so art is greatly improved by the inclusion of nudity.


Already Down
Wallspace Gallery (619 W 27th St. Btw 11th & 12th Aves.) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment