Monday, October 25, 2010

Adam Fuss, Home and The World @ Cheim & Read



Alternate processes photography almost inevitably makes for graphic images that look more like paintings than photographs. So it seems reasonable that in tough economic times, galleries are going to trot out their alternate processes shows.

I can’t even remember the last time Adam Fuss had a show in New York (apparently seven years ago), but he is back with some heavy-handed metaphors in tow. The first room features three 30x40in daguerreotypes of a mattress, an extreme close up of a hairless vagina and a mattress with a large black snake on it, which is followed by a room of photograms mounted on canvas of large black slithering snakes.

Cheim & Read (547 W 25th St. Btw. 10th & 11th Aves.) through Oct. 23rd

2 comments:

christine welch said...

I was concerned that I was missing something profound in the room full of photograms...I feel better now. I could not get a comparable thrill from the snakes...just not literal enough I guess.

Carl Gunhouse said...

I'm with you, I think in theory the snakes should reference a great deal of western art history but I just saw bad metaphors for penises.

Post a Comment